Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Zooming Down Victoria Peak:A Hongkong Kiss Story

 

Kissing


Zooming Down Victoria Peak:A Hongkong Kiss Story


Victoria Peak on HongKong Island on an Indian summer, a party of expats, and a hot young banker equal excitement on overdrive. I was in the Crown colony for a project presentation with other executives of the company I was working with. I was getting stir crazy. Being the youngest, I made all the power point visuals and had to watch more of the same.


I sneaked a quick call to Anngelica from my handy during a break in the session after reading an sms she sent. “Wei- Hello”, she answered in a nasal voice , “Nee hao? How are you?”
There will be a party tonight at the flat she shared with Stephan her Danish fiancée somewhere in Mid-levels of Victoria Peak. The guest list was a mix of expatriates and Pinoy residents of HongKong, mostly bankers since Anngelica worked with a German bank, hoteliers, investment bankers, and stockbrokers.


What, no locals in the party list?”, I wondered but only for a mere second. I freshened up and made some excuse to my boss about meeting a cousin. Since it was early, I took the Star Ferry from Kowloon across Victoria Harbour to Central on HongKong island. I was tempted to take the 800 meters long moving escalator going up to Mid-levels from the Central Business District just for the heck of it. But, I grabbed a cab instead for the 20 minute ride to Algae and Stephan’s little aerie on a high rise building on Po Shan Road, at the edge of a forest.


The panoramic view of HongKong at night from Mid-levels was fantastic. Inside the luxurious flat ,it was a scene right out of a Johnnie To film. The guests were an odd mixture of men in nifty Italian suits and women in elegant designer dresses which showed off every curve of their bodies. “So what!”, I told myself, “I was in an Escada suit I got at a 75% discount from a designer’s outlet in Tsim Sha Tsui on my first day in HongKong.” I did a double take when I saw a pair who I swear looked like celebrity couple Nicholas Tse and Cecilia Cheung.


Suddenly, there was a slight commotion at the entrance. Whoever he was, stood out from the rest in his skinny faded vintage Versace jeans and lightly starched white shirt. “Who’s the blonde dude in the casual get up air kissing the hot babes.” I asked my best friend Algae while taking a sip from my bottle of Evian. “Ian Holllister, he’s an investment banker. You met him at my engagement party in Manila, remember? He was in ripped jeans and a tuxedo.”, was Anngelica’s retort.


I tried to whistle. He looked different , much hotter. The hair tied up in a pony tail ala Steven Segal was gone. Ian was now sporting a short military buzz , so becoming and manly looking. Oh, and the black rimmed glasses were gone, that’s why I didn’t recognize him. And best of all, there was no girlfriend on his arm. I checked him out, no earrings, that’s a good sign. I edged a little closer and sniffed. O la la, it’s a masculine scent, citrus with a hint of wood. Hmmm, maybe this will prove to be an interesting evening after all.


So Diana, what brings you to Hongkong this time of the year?, Ian asked as I tried to blend in with the rest of the party crowd after smelling him. “ I had a business meeting, with a client.”, I lied, flattered he remembered my name. Blah, blah, blah, I circulated, met old friends, made new ones, ate a lot from the sumptuous cocktail buffet.



Algae and Stephan tried to convince me to join them at The Whisky Priest after the party. “Hey the action at Lan Kwai Fong is just about to start.”,Stephan said. “I have to go soon.” I mumbled. “I have an early morning meeting with another client tomorrow then I’m off to Manila on the last Cathay Pacific flight. Remember, I just sneaked out. Can you call me a cab for the ride back to the Marriot Hotel?
What’s up here, eh?” Ian asked. “Diana has to go back to the Marriot and I’m calling a cab.”, Stephan replied. “No problem “,Ian said, “I’ll take her back , let’s say in forty –five minutes.”
I gulped. That would be way past midnight and I was up since 6 this morning. I was afraid l was going to turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight. Algae and Stephan exchanged weird looks and that was that.


Ian and I talked some more, he was trying to convince me to go clubbing, dropping names like Bar George, C Club and Indochine 1929 which were hang outs for expatriates and chic locals at Lan Kwai Fong, the entertainment district on Central. “I had lunch the other day at Yung Kee at Lan Kwai Fong .”, I mentioned, “ and we went to Sugar at night after our meetings.” Ian promised to meet me his next visit to Manila. “Ok one more wine spritzer then we’re off.”, Ian said. “I’m driving so I can’t drink too much.”


Finally, Ian and I headed out the door and towards the parking area. The air was cool and fresh at this section of the city. “One of the perks of living on Mid-Levels is the quality of air here which is better than the rest of the city. “, Ian said.
Mmmm I know. ”, I said inhaling, “My lungs are so happy to be away from the haze in the harbour.”


I was looking for his car, maybe a Ferrari, an X-8 beamer or even a Honda will do. What do young investment bankers in their early twenties drive anyway? Suddenly, we stopped in front of a glistening red and black motorcycle, a Ducati Monster 620 and he handed me a top of the line Shoei helmet. No wonder Anngelica and Stephan exchanged that weird look. It was so Ian, his mode of transportation, so unpredictable.


So, do you always carry a spare helmet with you?”, I cheekily inquired. “Yes, a big bike is a chick magnet. It’s a great way to pick up women and I’m always lucky.”, he coolly replied with a wink and laughed. “Put this on and make sure you lock your arms around me real tight, eh.”, were his instructions as he helped me up as my skirt was really tight.


Then, we zoomed off and I was in for the ride of my life. I felt like I entered the eye of a storm where everything was at a standstill but the world around me was in constant motion. I could feel the wind and the cool air and nothingness. “This beats the hot air balloon ride I took with that German company at Clark Field in Angeles, Pampanga two months ago, the fringe benefits of my job.”, I smiled as I remembered.


So how did I feel zooming down Victoria Peak at 100 km per hr astride a Ducati big bike, helmet on, plastered to the backside of a Canadian hunk named Ian? It was exhilarating and I felt light headed from the adrenalin rush. When we hit the flat roads of Central near Lan Kwai Fong, I could make out in a blur the shock faces of people in the cars watching us.


My Prada shoes got scuffed, there was a tear in my expensive Falk stockings, my Escada skirt was hiked up mid –thigh and I lost a fake earring. I must have looked quiet a sight! When I took off my helmet, my hair looked like I just got out of bed, and I probably had a glazed look in my eyes. Was it the adrenalin rush, the sensuality of the ride, cheating death or whatever? When we finally reached Marriot Hotel and dismounted, my legs were wobbly and I could still feel the throbbing of the engines.


Then, in the heat of the moment, Ian grabbed me and we locked lips in a passionate kiss that left both of us dizzy. With great effort, I tore myself away from his embrace. After murmuring a thank you, I disappeared into the hotel. Kisses like that are dangerous and bound to get me into trouble. It was just too much for my senses. I glanced at the mirror in the lobby. I had this look of bliss on my face and a smile one couldn’t erase. I was wide awake at the edge of the world. End of my Hongkong kiss story.

Well, there you have it another short kiss story. I would have wanted Chanel shoes but that's pushing it a bit too far and i don't own a pair. Thanks for reading my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment